Sunday, November 25, 2012

My name is...

My  middle name is Joy.
Drove me nuts.  I was not always a joyful person. I hated being reminded that Joy was my name and I needed to start acting like that.
I hated Joy.
I had no idea what Joy was. Joy was unattainable. Joy was irritating.  and Joy had to go.

I tried changing my name.   Did not go over well.  Clearly.

It was suggested that maybe I should figure out what true Joy was.  So I did some studying.
Joy did not mean that I was happy all the time.
Joy did not mean that I was ok with things happening in my day.
Joy did not mean that there was something wrong with me if I was not happy all day every day.

To me, Joy is the underlying factor.  Like that crazy strong carpenters glue.   It holds it all together.

I used to have a lot of very dark days.  I still have the occasional one.  But when I feel them start I have a choice.

1. Have a very bad day.
2. Address what is causing the "dark" day.  Why are you depressed?
3. What can you do to change this?  Have I been eating right? Drinking liquids other than coffee? Exercising?
4. Am I going to let this ruin the rest of my day.

You gotta pick one and commit to it. The day will end and you will not get it back. So how are you going to handle it?

Do you know that eventually the situation will work out? Yes
Do you know that Jesus still loves you?  Yes
Can you do anything to fix this now? Yes or No  If so, do it.  If not, move on.

Look for the positive and the humorous.  There is something funny in every situation.  You have to look for it. Sometimes for a long time.  Sometimes its a sarcastic humor.

But Joy is a choice.  and a trusting and relying and knowing that God's got your back.
And tomorrow will be another day.

And hey, in a couple years this will be a really great story.

Hello, Please to meet you.  My name is Rebecca Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment