Saturday, March 5, 2011

Center Stage

As many know I have been behind, under, hidden in and above the stage in I think every one but 2 of the productions at NCC for the past 9ish years.
During that time I was a cast member once. I had one line.  I could not figure out for the life of me how to not sound like moron when I said my one line. I blame the line.  For that performance I played the role of the Egyptian Princess who adopted baby Moses.  She may have been mentioned by name but I forget it.  I rode bare back in a skirt, in the church, down the aisle in the dark, with a spot light on me and the very nervous horse that was also pregnant at the time, WHILE holding a REAL LIVE NEW BORN BABY.  Somehow the fact that I sounded like a moron was the LEAST of my concerns. I stuck to the behind the scenes stuff after that.  But every night I would kinda think...could I have pulled off the on stage performance as well?
The other night it dawned on me.  I have been on the stage before.  DUH

Heaven's Gates Hells Flames came to Kindersley and I can't remember the year.  But I do remember I got to play a rebel. I used an old Barbi bracelet as a nose ring and crimped my hair and teased it to a glorious height,  I used some form of coloring devise to streak it blue and green, put dark make up on and the most rebel clothing I owned.  I was a party girl. It was my first stage experience I think.  I mean I have forgotten completely that I had been on stage so who knows lol I may have acted before.

And then there was was Maritza Zitzen Baroness Von Blitzen in our highschool dinner theatre.  The dress I wore for that performance had been around.  My aunt, the one I get my funky shoes from, had this black long dress.  It was dynamite.  It was in our play house for years.  I pulled it out for the show.  And fell in love with it.  I wore it as Maritza Zitzen.  I wore it to WIBI.  I wore it to work in my brief experience as a sales person for that print shop that went out of business one day.  A good buddy of mine wore it for his performance as Celine Dione at my sisters grad. I wore it for a bridesmaid dress at Tammy's wedding. I wore it to a WIBI banquet. All in all, that dress probably got about 30 years play. Then one day. It was gone. I think I let it rest in peace. It deserved it. But some days I think about that dress....clearly remembering it more than my acting career.

No comments:

Post a Comment