Thursday, November 8, 2018

survival of the gender wars

My sweet baby has decided she needs mommy to sleep so I’m up with time to kill as I await the next feeding time. 
We discovered something interesting during the course of my pregnancy.  Equality of the sexes is none existent.  
My husband is involved.  Our first parenting journey was with his daughter from a previous marriage. In this case I play the step parent, daddy is the boss and I’m here to facilitate assistance and support. I’m not her mommy.   I’m her step mom.  It’s different in a way.  So her dad, my husband was a single parent before I came along and he’s adjusted to having someone else join the parenting team.  But he’s still the parent. So he’s possibly a tad more involved in some aspects other dads don’t usually bother themselves with. And we noticed that the rest of the public doesn’t recognize that very well. 
He couldn’t take his girl to the bathroom at the mall because there were no family rooms at the time. If he’s out shopping with her without me he gets looks. 

I noticed during pregnancy that daddies are not really included. 
All the apps and information and support before the baby is all about mom. Where is the support for dad? I get it’s only 9 months.  But a lot happens and changes those 9 months.  
When we were in hospitals trying to have this baby something greatly bothered me. 
The mom is labouring and should get a bed.  But the dad is there for support.  Not one hospital had a chair for dad that wasn’t broken or very old and very uncomfortable. Labor takes forever. It’s hard. It requires support. Dad got the floor to sleep on. Not even a cot or mattress most of the time. Dirty floor. 
Mom got meals, dad got to wander the halls In exhausted haze sore from sleeping on the floor. How are they supposed to be helpful in that state? 
Daddy filled out the forms to register our baby. Imagine his surprise when the forms flat out denied him the right to claim benefits for his child.  They gave me benefits for both kids.  Including one that I have no relation to.  Simply because I am a woman. Our government which is so focused on equality has failed to recognize our men. Our daddies. They didn’t even care about his address. 

Daddy took the baby to see the dr. And the Dr was questioning where the mom was.   If mom went they would never ask where dad was. But apparently daddy can’t even take his baby to a simple dr check up?  

He asked if that’s how a woman feels in a mans world.   I said yes. 
“So if you walked into a parts store that’s how they look at you?”
Always. 

“Man that sucks”

At least he gets it. 

But really.  Can we just get dad a chair that’s not broken? 

No comments:

Post a Comment